Sunday, June 27, 2010

I am a SAD blogger

Ok I haven't written forever but I still think about blogging. I have been so busy already this summer. We took a two week vacation. I felt I learned so much. So I thought I would share a few things.
#1-Went to Martin's Cove to do a pioneer trek with my family. I learnt I can walk over 7 miles and not die. But most of all I found out that pioneer life really sucked more than I ever understood. Wyoming is constantly windy and drives you crazy! I was there in summer not freaky freezing winter. I think I would have killed myself! Snaps up to all those Mormon Pioneers!
#2-South Dakota is not that far from Utah and it is so beautiful!
#3-There is a Mammoth Site in Hot Springs South Dakota. Mammoths all fell into a hole millions of years ago and now they are digging out their bones. It was so cool. GO there!
#4- Hot Springs also has a fancy hot springs pool that cost $11 a person. If you walk around town you can find a beautiful path along the creek.In certain places you can go into the same hot springs for free. Yes it is shallow but it is much prettier with trees and sky than the $11 swim indoors!
#5 Custer State Park is a hidden gem!
#6 Mt. Rushmore is an amazing feat. You see pictures and are amazed but real life is gobsmakking! And the drives through the black hills are so wild! We went through a tunnel and as we started getting to the end we realized it framed Mt. Rushmore. Super Cool!
#7 Ok...I am a loser. But as a child my bro Paul(who was with us) and I watched the movie-Close Encounters of the Third Kind. So we had to stop at Devil's Tower. I was fun and then we tortured my kids and made them watch the movie. I learned it was a pretty boring movie and the guy in it seemed a little too friendly with a women who wasn't his wife! Missed that as a kid!
#8 After that we went to Yellowstone Park. Learnt more than I wanted there. I think of Yogi Bear when I go there. Well I saw a bear but it was eating a poor little baby fawn. The Mom spent the day walking back and forth all over the meadow trying to get her baby. Where is a picnic basket when Yogi needs one??
Then the other problem was I watch the movie 2012 recently. Big Mistake! AND then I found out the whole flippin' giant park is actually in a giant volcano from long ago! AND the park has shooting steam everywhere. It could blow at anytime!! Some parking lots had some cones in spots where a steam vent blew through unexpectedly! Crap...I was risking my life for over three days!!! But at least I didn't see the freaky guy in the trailer monitoring volcano action like the movie!
#9-Don't go trying to relive your past 20 years later! 20 years ago this Aug I went to Ricks College. I spent a year there and had a great time. I wanted to share this with my kids since we were passing by. HA! What a joke that was. Yes, I knew Rick College changed to a 4 year university and they changed the name to BYU Idaho. But we parked on campus and I couldn't even figure out where we were. They added so many buildings. So I finally found the main building. There they had the place my roommate and I ate lunch everyday. Where all the dances were. The school store, bowling alley. Ya know the fun place! ANYWAY the whole place was gutted and redone. Man that is how to make a person feel dang old!! Oh...town was unrecognizable too! The dance place we spent tons of time at was gone too! But the movie theater was still there and we went! Brought back memories of many dates...better stop there...heehee
#10-So the last thing I learnt was- I need to take longer vacations because that was too much fun and I didn't want it to end!!!(I am now blocking that BYUI was once Ricks. My school is still in Rexburg Idaho and I hope to visit it one day to show my kids. BTW-Does anyone out there have a time machine?)

1 comment:

  1. I'm a sadder blogger than you are. You are blogging and that's more than I am doing. I am thinking about it right now though (can you tell?). Actually my computer is the pits and is giving me all kinds of problems, I'm waiting for my techie husband to fix it. Sorry I missed your birthday, hope you had a great one. BTW, I offered to take the kids to Disneyland next year and they said, no thanks, we'd rather go to Lagoon and visit our cousins. What's that about???? Anyway, maybe I'll make their wish come true and I can come and see you too!

    ReplyDelete